The paper titled "The interplay between non-esterified fatty acids and bovine peroxisome proliferator activated receptors: results of an in vitro hybrid approach" with Sebastiano Busato as first author was published in the Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology.
In this manuscript we demonstrated that:
- NEFA present in serum of dairy cows, especially early post-partum, activate Peroxisome Proliferator-activated Receptors (PPAR) in a dose-dependent fashion;
- NEFA preferentially activate PPARdelta and gamma;
- addition of palmitic acid has a modest effect in further activating PPAR in serum, especially in serum of early post-partum cows (high in NEFA);
- NEFA are cytotoxic in a dose-dependent fashion;
- BSA decreases the effect of NEFA on PPAR but also help to partly prevent the cytotoxic effect;
- NEFA released by VLDL (i.e., from dietary origin) via lipoprotein lipase further activate PPAR.
The acticle is available here
Congratulations to Sebastiano for his second manuscript as first author!